Sister Tonya Kathleen Smith

Sister Tonya Kathleen Smith

Monday, January 10, 2011

Week 2 in Germany

Hello family and friends! 
It has been an amazing week here in Germany!  We have had some exciting times and some disappionting times, but we don't let them get us down!  This week we did a lot of contacting on the streets.  We actually made out about 3 appiontments with new people but they all fell out.  We did write in a Book of Mormon for one lady and shoved it into her little mailbox.  That was fun :)  I also had my first Tür zu Tür (door to door) experience!  It was quite an adventure!  Almost all of the houses here in Deutschland are apartment style and you have to ring the buzzer to be let in.  She we stand outside the complexes and ring buzzers and they talk to us on the intercom usually.  Most of the time they say no thank you over the intercom and we don't get into the building, but occasionally they let us in and we talk to them for a minute and then they say no thank you, or just slam the door in our faces.  Yesterday we were doing this and I just couldn't stop laughing!  I was ringing buzzers and people would get mad and occasionally let us in then slam the doors then we would come back outside the building and ring buzzers again haha!  It was so entertaining!  Maybe it shouldn't be funny but its ok to bug people about their salvation, so it is entertaining to me.  Oh anyways!  My first experience wasn't like this...its was a lot more...komisch...or awkward.  We went Tür zu Tür in a city called Thale (there is no th sound in German so you just say it t, so my name is Sister Smit or Schmit).  The buildings there didn't have intercoms and the doors were behind a fence so we couldn't even see the doors.  So we just rang the intercoms and the people would stick their heads out of the windows sometimes stories above where we were to talk to us.  So we would have to yell that we were from the Church of Jesus Christ and try to get them to let us in...it was super awkward and surely by the time we had been through 2 or three buzzers the whole building heard us yelling to people.  So that was quite an experience :) but one worth telling! 
We have three progressive investigators now, we lost one this last week named Frank.  I never got to meet him but he called and said he found his church with the Evangelists.  We're going to go by and talk to him about it because he said his wife likes us (even though she was never interested in the church).  We have one investigator Herr Lau and he is a funny funny man!  His lessons are the most enjoyable for me!  He reads the Book of Mormon diligently and we have great discussions over his questions ever time!  He is Golden!  He just needs to pray, he is scared of it, but he said he would pray today for Sister Jensen's birthday!  We are super excited!
I have understood a lot more German this week!  Sister Jensen is very patient with me asking so many questions.  All of the members have told me my German is very good though, even though I feel like I can't say anything right.  I had a lot of people on the streets say they couldn't understand me and walk away, I think they just knew I was American and wanted to get out of listening....or they just couldn't understand :)
My talk went fairly well.  I didn't feel as prepared as I could have been but the members told me I did really well (but they would probably say that if I did terrible...but they are German). I felt ok about it.  Oh and went I got up to the pulpit I realized I had left my scriptures by my chair in the congregation and I said I did and about three people jumped up to hand me scriptures.  It broke the ice a little so I wasn't so nervous...but then again I was giving a talk to a congregation of 10 people. 
The weather was GREAT the last three days!  It has been about 5°C and it feels like heaven on earth!  I think I have definitely adapted to a colder climate when that feels warm.  But now the snow is all melting and the sidewalks are covered in ice.  Me and Sister Jensen have had some close calls on slipping on the ice and sometimes it is almost like clumbsy iceskating!  A couple times we were slipping so much and laughing so hard because we were slipping that it just made us slip more.  No accidents to record yet though. 
Ok, I feel like I've taken more time than I should on this email, and we have some partying to do today for Sister Jensen's birthday!  I'll let you know how that goes in our little town in the middle of nowhere. 
The Church is so true!  It doesn't mattter where on Earth we are, the Lord has His eye on all of us!  I know He is with me and helping me to understand and talk and bear testimony to people that need to hear it!  I'm so happy to be a part of this marvelous work!  I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week! 
Liebe,
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment