Sister Tonya Kathleen Smith

Sister Tonya Kathleen Smith

Monday, September 26, 2011

Letter fromthe MTC


I found this in my draft section.  Don't know if I already published this, but I am putting it in here anyway.




Hello my wonderful family :)
All is going very well this week!!  I have been learning a lot and getting better at planning and sticking to the plan.  I forgot to tell you an experience last week, so I wanted to update you on probably the most dramatic thing that has happened thus far.  So one day we were sitting in class and my companion was complaining of the heat (like she does every day :)) so I didn't think much of it.  But during a role play she started to get really shakey and pale...and she sat down and pretty much went into shock.  She could barely hold herself up and she was sweating.  We tried to lay her down but she said a blessing would be nice.  So we helped her stay in the chair as the Elders read off of their cheat card to know how to give a blessing.  It was a wonderful blessing though!  Elder Bartholomew (my district leader) gave her a beautiful blessing even though it was his first time and he was really nervous.  The spirit was so strong in the room.  So then we tried to help her walk down to the sick bay, but she collapsed almost immediately.  So we sent for a wheelchair and the Elders carried her in the wheelchair down three flights of stairs (there is no elevator in my building).  She got to sick bay and was put on oxygen, I was sent back to class companionless after she had settled down.  But I did get a pager (I felt kind of worldly) in case she needed me.  After a few hours I went back and she was much better.  Apparently the shock of the climate change mixed with some of her prior health problems and nutrion deficiancies got to her body and it didn't want to work right :) how is that for a doctors report? :) but she is doing much better now!  Still complains about the heat, except outside at seven in the morning and in the snow, but she is healthy and well :)  So that was an adventure!
New news for this week:  I was asked last Sunday to the the Coordinating Sister for my branch.  So pretty much I watch over all the sisters in my zone.  I was pretty overwhelmed with the assignment, for a feel there are many sisters more qualified than I, but I am very excited to get to know the sisters better and be a help when they need it.  Besides watching over the girls I just get to go to more meetings, work with the zone leaders, and make my schedule just a little more crazy :)  It is a good opportunity though. 
This week in the TRC we were able to "Pick up" an investigator and bring them to church on "a bus."  We had to talk to them for fifteen minutes in German and explain church and ask about their reading in the Book of Mormon and their prayers.  It was tough!  But a wonderful experience!  It helped me make new goals with the language and know where I need to go.  And then we were able to teach the second lesson in English.  Oh wow...it was one of the most spiritual experiences I have had thus far.  I had to plan most of the lesson alone, because my companion was in interviews when we had time to plan, so we got to talk for about ten minutes on what we wanted to teach.  But when we got in there I was praying so hard that the Spirit would take control, and boy did He ever!  We both taught and the lessson flowed, we turned to scriptures in a timely manner that supported and strengthened the lesson.  We explained clearly and were able to bear beautiful testimony of the Savior and His atonement.  And guess what else?!  I felt like I should extend an invitation to be baptized and they both said that would be a goal they want to work toward!!! :) ok it was just acting but it feels so real when you are in the TRC and the spirit is still there so strongly!  And I was still prompted to know when the right time to say things was.  Role playing truly is how the missionaries are supposed to learn at this time!  We left with grateful hearts and the two sisters we taught said they felt blessed by our message as well.  Afterwards I had that feeling after you give a lesson in Relief Society and you put everything into it and you feel like He did all the work for you, but you are physically and emotionally exhausted but on top of the world!  Ya...that is how I felt :) if the mission is like that all the time, I am gonna be so warn out every day!!! But SO HAPPY!!!!
As you can see I am still loving the experience so much!  It is so rewarding to be a missionary!  I have so much fun with my comp and the girls in my room.  Sister Browne hid in Sister Andersens closet the other day and they came in and I was trying to act natural.  Sister Andersen opened her closet and just saw the head of Sister Browne :) she screamed and slammed the closet door and ran away :) it was very funny!  We aren't supposed to prank...but things like that can't be passed up sometimes :) 
Well that is my update for the week!  We are continuing to learn a lot from the speakers, teachers, each other, and most importantly the Spirit.
I have an undeniable testimony of my Father in Heaven.  I know He loves me so much and He truly has called me to His work.  I am His disciple and I am willing to do His will.  I know my Savior lives and is my advocate with the Father.  He has made it possible for me to have Eternity with Him and my wonderful family!   I know the church was restored throught a prophet Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon was translated by Him through the Power of God.  The Book of Mormon brings so much strenght and comfort.  The answers found in it are undeniable!  I love the Gospel!!! And I love being a missionary!!! Die Kirche ist WAHR!!!!!
I love you all!
Love,
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment