Sister Tonya Kathleen Smith

Sister Tonya Kathleen Smith

Monday, February 7, 2011

Jan 31, 2011

Liebe Familie und Freunde!
Another week has flown by and I am starting the sixth week of my first transfer!  I can't believe it has gone so fast!  Does life ever slow down?  Or does every week keep going faster than the one before throughout life?  But along with every week going so much faster I also learn so much more every week!  This week I feel like I have found many weaknesses, which I am grateful for.  I think every time we recognize another weakness it is our Heavenly Father telling us that we are ready to improve on that weakness.  So I am grateful that he has opened my eyes a little more to see what I can do better to be a more consecrated servant.  Every day in the mission is a challenge, you stretch yourself in ways that you never knew you could be stretched.  But as a missionary I get to be a part of some of the most precious moments in people's lives.  What a marvelous opportunity!!!  And I have discovered this week just how amazing bearing testimony is.  Every time we bear testimony, even in little ways, ours is strengthen as long as those around us.  I know that I can speak to my Heavenly Father in prayer, but when we walk up to someone and tell them that they have a loving Heavenly Father who wants to speak with them, you can't help but know it even more.  And every prayer is a little more personal as I realize even more how much He loves me and how much I love Him.  I am also strengthened when my companion bears testimony about different things and it makes me think about it too.  Testimony creates an environment of such peace and love, full of the Spirit! 
Well it has been an exciting week!  I had my first experience alone this week!  My companion had to go to Hannover for a leadership training meeting, and so I got sent off to Celle to spend the day with another companionship in my district.  We were running a little late so they just had to drop me off at the Bahnhof (train station) and head over.  So I had to buy my ticket and find my way to my port alone…. ya I was a little nervous…but luckily over the last month I have developed a little courage when it comes to talking to people.  So I asked someone to help me figure out how to buy my ticket…and they did :)  and then I asked another person where my port was and she walked with me right up to it!  It was so nice!  Then I rode the train for about 45 minutes to Celle where the other sisters picked me up.  Not too crazy…but it was my first time without my trainer!  And being alone as a missionary is well….komisch…no English word describes it as well as that… Komisch is kind or strange or peculiar or a little awkward or silly…haha all of the above…see, no equivalent word.  Ya it was komisch.  It just doesn't feel right!  So I'm glad it wasn't for long! 
Another exciting first this week…me and Sister Jensen gave the Thema (lesson) in Sunday school!  I was pretty nervous…but it actually went very well!  And I actually helped teach for about half of the time.  We made all of the members (the 8 that were in sunday school) name tags because we were teaching about every member a missionary.  It was really fun to see everyone with bright pink and blue name tags on.  Then we had them all do role plays after we showed them how they go.  They got into it and actually tried it out!  It was great!  I hope it helped them to realize that talking about the gospel doesn't have to be a scary thing.  And it can help us out a lot!  Members are so essential in missionary work! 
Everything else is going well!  We have one investigator who is so so so very close to baptism, he just has commitment issues…men….so once we get past that we think he'll get baptized really quick!  He is so close!  Our other investigators are still progressing and we have new appointments scheduled out for this week and we hope to find a few new golden investigators this week. 
The weather got a lot colder and I have experienced something I have never felt before.  We were walking after dark (after 5 PM) the other day and it was really foggy and freezing cold.  And as we were walking I felt cold drops on my face.  I looked up and it wasn't raining…then I looked down and saw little ice crystals on my jacket I realized that little drops of water were in the air and they were freezing in the air and we were walking through them!  WOW!!! It was so amazing that I forgot I was cold for a minute! 
I need to tell you about one walk in that we had.  We went Tür zu Tür in a city called Wernigerode and the first door we klingled let us in!  AWESOME!  So we went in and it was this week old lady and she told us she was 95!  She looked great for 95!  So we sat down and told her a little bit about who we are and we asked about her a little bit.  She brought out a picture of her husband who had passed away and showed us his picture.  Then she told us she had five children, four sons and one daughter.  Then she asked us if we wanted some juice to drink.  We told her no thank you.  Then she pulled off her house shoe and showed us a big cut on her foot.  And then she asked us if we wanted some juice to drink.  We told her no thank you.  Then she told us that she had five children, four sons and one daughter.  Then she showed us the picture of her husband.  Then she pulled off her shoe and showed us her cut.  Then she asked us if we wanted some juice to drink.  HAHA ok so by this point we could tell we weren't really going go get anywhere…So we gave her a pamphlet and told her that she could read it and we could maybe come back another time.  On the way out she told us about her five children, four sons and one daughter. :)  She told us that we needed to come back for tea sometime and that she was glad we came.  Then she told us to watch out for bad guys and if we see them just kick um!  And she showed us how!  She got her leg up higher than I can and she was a foot and a half shorter!  I was amazed!!!  We said that we would come back some time and said Tschüß and on the way down the stairs we were trying so hard not to bust up laughing!  We got outside and she was waving to us from the 8th floor!  haha oh man then the rest of the day we were laughing so hard!  It was one of the best walk-ins ever!    
Ok, well I have more time because we figured out that we can type on anther computer while the other person is on the computer with internet and then save it and copy it over to the other computer, so I got to write a little more today but, I don't know what else to write!  The work is going forward and I absolutely love it!  We have four appointments today and its P-day so we are excited about that!  We are happy when we have tremins, even if they are on P-day!  I am so happy to be a missionary and I hope that we can all become better disciples of our Savior!  It is such a blessing to have a knowledge of the gospel and what potential we have as sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father!  So many people don't know of this marvelous truth!  I hope we can all help bring our siblings to the knowledge of our Heavenly Father.  I hope all is well, you are in my prayers!  Thank you for your love and support! I love you all!
Liebe Grüße,
Sister Smitsss….Schmitss…Schmidt….(
Smith)

No comments:

Post a Comment