Sister Tonya Kathleen Smith

Sister Tonya Kathleen Smith

Monday, October 10, 2011

New Place.... Chemnitz! New Comp.... Sister Nielson

I think this must have been her birthday "cake"  Sure wonder what it really is.
She says it is getting colder and even her toes look cold!  But she looks happy.
Liebe Familie und Freunde,
It has been a very exciting week!  Leaving Bielefeld was really really hard.  And Sister Peltier, but it is ok because I know that we will be friends forever :) and she lives in Utah!  I didn't get to say goodbye to a lot of people in Bielefeld and I think that was the hardest part.  I miss it a lot, and it is a strange feeling being in a new city and being absolutely clueless all over again :)  but I am glad to say that I am loving it!  My new companion is Sister Nielson, she is from New York and she is in her third transfer in Germany.  She is absolutely wonderful!  She loves to laugh and we have lots and lots of good laughing moments.  She never studied German before the MTC but her German is already really good.  She is excited not to be Golden any more, and she says she is a "real missionary" now.  She is enjoying taking more part in the lessons and she does a really good job!  Chemnitz is wonderful!  I think it is a little bigger than Bielefeld but there are Elders and a Senior couple in our ward as well.  It is really different to be so close to other missionaries and to see them in the city but it has been fun:).  Chemnitz is the heart of the church during the war and was the biggest population of members besides Utah.  Now there is only one ward with about 120 active members but it is still pretty big.  There is a ton of history in the city and it isn't too far from the Freiberg temple and Dresden, which both have lots and lots of history from the war and the church.  We even get to visit the Temple next week and I can hardly wait!!!  I have missed the temple so much!  I know we are doing work for the living and that is wonderful, but I am very grateful that the Lord sent me here so I can visit the temple too. 
As for the work here in Chemnitz, it is going forward and we have already seen many miracles!!  There was a young man baptized last week from China and I was able to see him be confirmed this week.  He is really cool and he was my first appointment here in Chemnitz.  The people here are wonderful!  The accent is really different :) and some people are really hard to understand, but luckily I can understand most of them :) they just sounds funny to me.  Miracles this week:  We started teaching an investigator that Tschüssed us again.  He is so awesome and when he stops smoking he will be ready to be baptized.  We have done some work at the University here and met some cool students looking for answers.  This week we talked to someone on the street and gave him a card because he didn't have much time.  The next morning he called and said he didn't sleep very well because he couldn't stop thinking about what we had said.  So we made an appointment with him.  Then on Sunday he showed up to church!  It was awesome!!  We didn't even get to mention church he just saw it on the card.  Another investigator that we taught for the first time this week came to church as well.  Then a member who was visiting from Texas brought her niece with her, who isn't a member...yet...but she asked us for a Book of Mormon and said she would be there again next week.  Another young man showed up at church as well and said that he got to know the church in the states as he was an exchanged student and lost contact when he came back to Germany.  He came to Chemnitz to study and looked up the church and came to church!  YAHOO!  The Elders are going to start teaching him this week!  The miracles are continuing and I can't wait for Chemnitz to be on fire just like Bielefeld was!  We are finding new people and have lots of goals to see more baptisms and many more miracles!  I know with all my heart that the Lord is in charge of this work.  I have seen it time and time again that when I am willing to give my will to the Father and do hard things that blessings are poured out!  I don't like to think about how many times I have already missed out on blessings for myself and more importantly for others as I was to selfish or embarrassed to open my mouth or go somewhere.  I loved hearing from the prophet and apostles and I know as we follow Pres. Monson's example and follow the promptings of the Spirit we will be able to do miracles through Him!  I love being a missionary and everything is going absolutely wonderful here in a new city.  I feel at home already and I know I am supposed to be here.  This time is so short and I never want a day to go by without giving my best! 
I love you all and my prayers are with you.  I know the Lord is watching over us.  I love listening to the song "We are Clay in His Hands."  I know he is shaping us through this process of life to be an amazing masterpiece!  It is challenging but it wouldn't make any sense if it was too easy.  I hope you have a wonderful week!
Liebe Grüße,
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment